Programs and Events
Snow Angels – Coalhurst
November 7, 2023 - April 15, 2024
Snow Angels –The Neighbourly Thing to Do
What is the Snow Angels Program?
The Snow Angels Program aims to encourage neighbors to help one another by volunteering to shovel snow for community members who are unable to clear their own sidewalks.
Who are Snow Angels?
Snow Angels are individuals, youth, seniors, families, community groups, and corporate volunteers who voluntarily shovel snow for community members needing assistance.
Why become a volunteer Snow Angel?
- Get to know your neighbors
- Help someone who will truly appreciate your efforts
- Keep sidewalks and driveways safe for all
- Get some fresh air
- Much more!
When does the program run?
Snow Angel signs will be clearly displayed outside of the home from November until mid-April.
Who provides the tools?
Residents are encouraged to allow volunteers to use their shovel, ice chippers, ice melt, etc. Please have the tools easily accessible for volunteers.
How it works:
- Residents in need of help can contact FCSS Volunteer Services at 403-915-7063 indicating they need a hand with snow removal this winter. They will be asked to complete an application form.
- To be eligible, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must reside at the property.
- Have a condition or disability preventing them from participating in snow removal activities.
- Not have any other able-bodied person residing in their home to assist.
- Once the application has been received and approved, you will receive a sign to display. We will deliver the sign and set it up. Please note that if a volunteer does not come to shovel, cleaning the sidewalk is still the responsibility of the property owner. Your walkways must be cleared 48 hours after snowfall. Placement of a Snow Angel sign is not a guarantee that snow will be removed.
- After a snowfall, volunteers can look for Snow Angel signs around their community and simply shovel the walks.
- Volunteers will shovel all accessible parts of the sidewalk and driveway, up to the front door of the residence.
- Volunteers will NOT shovel areas of grass, backyards, or alleyways.
- At the end of each month, Snow Angel volunteers are asked to submit their volunteer hours online or by phone. Volunteers who submit their volunteer hours will be entered into a draw to win a Block Party with the NeighbourGood Trailer as well as monthly prize draws. Bonus entries are available for Snow Angel volunteers who take a selfie or group photo of a job well done and post it on social media. Make sure you tag FCSS!