Did you know that FCSS offers a free tax service for eligible individuals in the FCSS service area?
- Eligibility. Eligibility is based on income threshold (see below) and the simplicity of the tax return
Family Size Total Family Income
1 person $35,000
2 persons $45,000
3 persons $47,500
4 persons $50,000
5 persons $52,500
More than 5 persons $52,500 (plus $2,500 for each additional person)
- Book an appointment. Tax assistance if offered year-round! Call or text 403-915-7063 to make an appointment. Low German supports are available, as well.
- Prepare for the appointment.
- Gather all your tax documents and information into a folder or envelope, including Tax information slips (i.e., T4, CPP, OAS, T5007), Medical expenses – Your Pharmacist can print you off a Prescription Receipt Summary, Charitable donations.
- Register for a My Account. View your income tax and benefit information conveniently and with no long wait times on the phone. Visit Canada.ca/my-cra-account to register.
- Update your personal information (address, marital status, and direct deposit information) up to date with the Canada Revenue Agency. These are important details that can affect your tax return, refund, or benefit and credit payments. You can update your information by signing into your My Account or by calling the CRA at 1-900-959-8281.
- Be aware of important dates. The deadline to file your personal income tax return is May 2, 2023. Filing your return each year and before the deadline helps to avoid delay in benefit and credit payments.
Income tax returns cannot be prepared for individuals who have more complex returns which includes the following: self-employment income*, business or rental income and expenses*, capital gains, employment expenses, filed for bankruptcy, or are deceased in the year.
*The CRA offers free support for small businesses and self-employed individuals. To learn more, visit their website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/small-business-tax-help.html
To learn more about the FCSS tax program or to book an appointment, contact Cindy Lauwen at (403) 915-7063.
Volunteer Services Coordinator